"I didn't believe my eyes." Top 5 Page for this destination Rangoon Off The Beaten Path Tip by planxty

Rangoon Off The Beaten Path: 24 reviews and 36 photos

Armenian Church, Yangon, Myanmar.
by planxty

One of the things I noticed in Myanmar (Burma) was the proliferation of religions and the apparent tolerance there is amongst the various groups. Obviously, Buddhism is the predominant faith, but there are many Hindu and Sikh places of worship, along with a noticeable Christian element and quite a number of Moslem mosques.

What I wasn't quite prepared for, however, was the sight of an Armenian Christian Church in the centre of downtown Yanogn (Rangoon) and yet the photograph proves it is there. In a country full of unusual sights, I found this one of the strangest. I certainly didn't meet any Armenians when I was there. Should you wish to worship, or just go for a look, the address is the Armenian Church of St. John the Baptist, No. 66, 40th St., Yangon (Rangoon). Actually, it looked shut when I was there, but I'm sure it would be open for worship on a Sunday.

• Updated Nov 9, 2014

• davidjo's Profile Photo
    Nov 9, 2014 at 1:32 AM

amazing, but we have a Scottish Temple in Manila!

• Feb 5, 2013 at 2:29 PM

I've just come back from Yangon and went twice to services at the Armenian Church. My Dad was an Armenian born in Rangoon so I had to look it up. Father John Felix conducts Sunday service in English there at 10 am. My distant cousin Rachel sings in Armenian as solo chorister with a beautiful voice. Her father Richard assists Father John with the service. I was honoured to be allowed to read the lesson, and awed by the plaques dedicated to my family - one for all my father's aunts and cousins who died in 1942 while trekking to India, and an older one honouring a female benefactor. I urge anyone who is interested in Colonial church architecture, or indeed Rangoon history to pay a visit. Entrance is through the gate down a side street to the right of the church.

planxty

“I have declared myself an unsafe building!”

Have you been to Rangoon?