El Conuco: "Buffet and a Show" El Conuco Tip by grandmaR

Part of the restaurant
      La Purperia dia Pueblo on the left
      My plate of food
    by grandmaR
      People waiting at the entrance
    by grandmaR

Gloria (the guide) asked us if we wanted to shop, and I said no, so we got back into the car and drove to a restaurant called El Conusco. She said this is where all the tours go for lunch. It is well set up for large groups of people and has a buffet of national foods for people to eat.

Egarrido explained to me that the word "conuco" is a Taino word (original inhabitants of the island) and it means "small piece of land used for farming or family plot."

They also did a show here where they danced, including standing on top of a bottle and dancing. (pictured). I think that the performers/waitresses or waiters would dance with the guests too (although not on the bottle). I have posted two videos of this

There was a place labeled "La Purperia dia Pueblo" next to the entrance which had souveniers etc inside, and Gloria said it was the model of a country house. It was decorated with flowers, as was an exhibit of a horse drawn buggy which was parked out front.

I went to the bathroom which was pretty reasonable, except there was no toilet seat - or rather there was one on one side which had broken off the toilet.

Favorite Dish: They had spaghetti and yams and chicken plus various salads. The price was included in the tour price so I don't really know what it cost. Both Gloria and the driver ate a lot - more than we did.

Daily noon-2am and the average price according to websites is $15.00

Address: Calle Casimiro de Moya 152, Santo Domingo
Comparison: more expensive than average
Directions: residential neighborhood near the Malecón
Phone: 809-686-0129
Price: US$11-20
Rating: 3
Theme: Local

• Updated May 25, 2009

Comments

grandmaR

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”

Have you been to Santo Domingo?