"Transport from the airport: Colectivos" Airport Transfers Tip by SWFC_Fan

Airport Transfers, Cancún: 21 reviews and 21 photos

Colectivo ticket
by SWFC_Fan

Upon arrival at Cancun airport, you have 3 options for taking transport to Cancun:

1. The cheapest option is to catch a bus to the main bus terminal. However, if you are staying in the Hotel Zone or if you don?t know exactly where your hotel is located, this might not be your best option.

2. The quickest, but most expensive, option is to take a taxi straight to your hotel.

3. I opted for the middle option - I caught a Colectivo, which is a minibus that holds around 10 passengers and their luggage and drops each one off at their chosen hotel. This is more direct than the bus and much cheaper than a taxi.

The colectivos are operated by a company called Green Line and at the time of my visit (February 2006) the cost per person was 90 Pesos (or 9 USD). You can pay in either Pesos or USD, but you can not pay in GBP or Euros, so if you are arriving from Europe you?ll need to obtain one of the two accepted currencies.

I had no Pesos upon arrival and there is no ATM in the arrivals hall. There is an exchange counter in the arrivals hall, but I was advised that the rates are incredibly bad and that I should go to the departure terminal to use the ATM. I did this, but upon returning to the arrivals hall I was stopped by a security guard who was reluctant to allow me to re-enter the terminal to purchase a ticket from the counter. He eventually relented and I was able to go back inside to purchase my ticket. The tickets are sold from a counter which stands directly beside the counters selling bus tickets and arranging taxis.

The colectivo sets off once it has a full quota of passengers. Depending on the destinations of the different passengers, the colectivo goes first to the Hotel Zone and then to downtown Cancun calling at each appropriate hotel. My hotel was the 4th of 6 stops and the journey took a little under 1 hour.

For your return journey, you can call up the day before and arrange to be picked up from your hotel at a given time.

Mode: AROUND
othercontact: Fax: 886-05-07
Phone: 886-00-23
Type: Other

• Updated Apr 4, 2011

Comments

SWFC_Fan

“Next stops: Chile (November), Cluj-Napoca (December)”

Have you been to Cancún?