"Alexandria" Top 5 Page for this destination Egypt Things to Do Tip by Diana75
Egypt Things to Do: 1,687 reviews and 2,532 photos
The city of Alexandria was established by Alexander the Great in 331 BC and was the capital of Egypt from the time of Ptolemy I, Ptolemy II and until the Arabic Conquest in 641 AD.
During the Roman period, Alexandria was considered the source of civilization and culture, due to its universities and scientific institutions.
Among Alexandria most important attractions, beside the Library and Roman Amphiteathre, are:
- Quait-Bey Fort - built in 1480 by the Sultan Al Ashraf Quait-bey on the place of the old famous Alexandria Lighthouse, one of the seven wonders of the ancient world;
- Montazah Palace - the former summer residence of Egypt’s ex-king Fatih, currently the residence of the President Hosni Mubarak;
- St. Mark Cathedral, also called the Copte-Orthodox Patriarchate, with the relics of St. Mark.
For more information visit my Alexandria page.
More Reviews (36)
- See All Night cruise on the Nile in Cairo
- See All Taxi in Cairo - great experience
- See All Scent of... Egypt
- See All Maadi Church in Cairo
- See All Eat while watching the Sphinx
Diana75's Related Pages
Have you been to Egypt?Share Your Travels