"The Unfinished Obelisk of Aswan" Top 5 Page for this destination Egypt Things to Do Tip by Diana75
Egypt Things to Do: 1,687 reviews and 2,532 photos
The Unfinished Obelisk is located in the Northern Quarry of Aswan.
Initially intended as a companion to the Lateran Obelisk in Rome, it would have measured finished 42m height and 1,168 tones weight, have been the worlds largest piece of stone ever handled.
But due a crack in the stone the obelisk was abandoned.
Much of the red granite used for ancient temples and colossi came from quarries in the Aswan area.
Entrance fee: 20 LE (USD 3.5-).
For more information visit my Aswan page.
More Reviews (36)
- See All Night cruise on the Nile in Cairo
- See All Taxi in Cairo - great experience
- See All Scent of... Egypt
- See All Maadi Church in Cairo
- See All Eat while watching the Sphinx
Diana75's Related Pages
Have you been to Egypt?Share Your Travels