"Visit Franz Josef Glacier" Franz Josef Glacier Tip by AKtravelers
Franz Josef Glacier, New Zealand: 23 reviews and 29 photos
Franz Josef Glacier is one of the more impressive sights on New Zealand's west coast. This massive river of deep blue ice slides dfown from about 12000 feet almost to sea level, moving from alpine snowfield to temperate rainforest at 3-4 meters per year.
There are several ways to see the glacier. We chose to hike to Sentinal Rock to get an overall look at Franz, but we could have chosen to hike right to the base (we've seen lots of glaciers, so we didn't opt for that). We could have also picked one of many guided hikes on the glacier, but instead we opted for a helicopter flight over it and a landing at its source (see our helicopter tip and travelogue).
More Things to Do in New Zealand (15)
More Reviews (30)
- See All New Zealand -- Not Always an Ecotourism...
- See All Okains Bay: Small & Overlooked on Banks...
- Sleeping in Lamb Skins
- See All Don't Drive over 110 km/hr
- See All South Island's Beaches Are Gar and Empty
- New Zealanders love to boat
- See All Our Vaorite Accommodation: Friends
- See All Kaikoura = Eat Seafood!
- Bizarre but Tasty Chocolate in...
- See All Driving on the Left
- Auckland's Harbour -- Full of Nighttime...
Been to New Zealand?Share your travels with the world!
AKtravelers' Related Pages
Have you been to New Zealand?Share Your Travels