Arlington Lodge: "Delightfully Different" Top 5 Page for this destination Arlington Lodge Tip by SabrinaSummerville

Arlington Lodge, Waterford: 1 reviews and 1 photos

The Game Platter and my lovely sister
by SabrinaSummerville

When I was growing up I would often pass a beautiful old, and semi derelict, building that used to be the home of the Waterford Roman Catholic Bishops for over 200 years. It was so sad to see such a lovely building just rotting away, so I was thrilled to hear that it had been bought by the brother of a colleague and was being transformed to a luxury small hotel and restaurant.

The property has been lovingly restored and now houses a country-house type small hotel and excellent restaurant. That saying, I use the expression "country house" quite loosely, as it is situated five, or at most ten minutes walk from the City centre. However, it is surrounded by a very high wall and the gardens, though small, are very prettily laid out. Therefore, throughout the property there is a feeling of provacy and country-ness.

Last night I dined in the Robert Paul restaurant. I hadn't been there for a couple of years, as they had changed chefs, but now Richie is back and the food is divine.

The restaurant is small and intimate, set in the conservatory area of the house looking out on the pretty gardens and the fountain. The table settings are silver service and the service itself is efficiently and very pleasantly provided.

First of all we had drinks in the lounge, which is very tastefully furnished with carefully chosen antiques. There is also a seperate bar, but I like to take my pre dinner drink in this lounge area as I find it a more pleasant room.

My sister and I opted for the six course meal at Euro52 a head, whereas my two nieces went for the four course menu at Euro32 a head. There is also an early bird option at Euro28 if you order before 7.30pm. No matter which menu you opt for the selection is varied and all dishes are beautifully presented and very tasty indeed.

Favorite Dish: I have new favourites here from time to time, but my current fave would have to be the game platter. Last night this consisted of rabbit roulade dressed with home made tomato chutney, duck breast on mashed turnip with cassis glaze, venison sausage dressed with a red wine jus on a bed of cous cous stuffed savoy cabbage, and finally confit of duck leg glazed with honey and blackcurrant on a potato rosti. It was absolutely amazing - and so filling!

Address: John's Hill, Waterford City.
Price Comparison: more expensive than average
Directions: Five minutes walk uphill from the town centre heading in the direction of the back road to Dunmore.
Phone: Tel 00 353 51 878584
Price: US$41 and up
Rating: 5
Theme: Eclectic/International

• Updated Mar 10, 2006

SabrinaSummerville Lives Here!

“"I am of Ireland....Come dance with me in Ireland", W.B. Yeats”

Have you been to Waterford?