"Keas are Attractive Trouble" New Zealand Warnings Or Dangers Tip by AKtravelers
New Zealand Warnings and Dangers: 147 reviews and 102 photos
New Zealand's native mountain parrots, called keas, are fun, beautiful and not the least bit fearful of humans. But be careful! They are strong enough to fly away with hiking boots, sneakers or small digital cameras and most New Zealanders have stories about what keas have taken off with. They are funny to listen to but I don't want to have one of my own! Also, for some reason, keas have a liking to pecking and pulling at the rubber window liners of vehicles. If you are unlucky enough to park your car at a trailhead haunted by keas, you could come back to find your windshield wipers shredded or your window seals leaking. Nice birds, eh?
For Americans renting cars who opted not to buy the car-rental company's comprehensive insurance, this presents a real problem as most American insurance companies won't cover you in countries where they drive onthe left side of the road. Nor will your credit card company help you out as they have similar exclusions (read your fine print). So these keas are cute and have a great sense of humor, but they could be expensive birds.
We saw this health guy outside a bar called, appropriately enough, the The Wobbly Kea at Arthur's Pass. we didn't get a blood alcohol level.
More Warnings and Dangers in New Zealand (3)
More Reviews (42)
- See All New Zealand -- Not Always an Ecotourism...
- See All Go to the top of Skytower
- See All Okains Bay: Small & Overlooked on Banks...
- Sleeping in Lamb Skins
- See All South Island's Beaches Are Gar and Empty
- New Zealanders love to boat
- See All Our Vaorite Accommodation: Friends
- See All Kaikoura = Eat Seafood!
- Bizarre but Tasty Chocolate in...
- See All Driving on the Left
- Auckland's Harbour -- Full of Nighttime...
Been to New Zealand?Share your travels with the world!
AKtravelers' Related Pages
Have you been to New Zealand?Share Your Travels