"Yeogwan": "Korean Motels" South Korea Hotel Tip by Edith49

South Korea Hotels: 100 reviews and 85 photos

My son introduced me to the Yeogwan or "Love Motels" as some of them are called. This is where we stayed when we traveled around the country. I was a little leery at first, but they were very clean, comfortable, and quite adequate. They are a great alternative to the big pricey tourist hotels. I believe we spent about $30 USD one night in Pusan and about $37 USD in Seoul.

I do not speak or read Korean, but after my son told me how to identify them, it was quite easy to pick them out wherever we went. Just look for the steaming cup of coffee at the top of a sign and there you are - Yeogwan!

Unique Qualities: I would describe these rooms as very utilitarian. There is everything that you need, including cable TV, but it is not fancy. You can get Western style beds or Korean style. My son and I shared a room, I slept on the bed, he slept on a pallet on the floor - he is quite used to that having lived in Korea for quite some time.

They supply slippers, shampoo, soap, etc., everything you need for an overnight stay. The staff mostly do not speak English, but are very helpful and friendly.

Address: I saw them in every town/city that I went to.
Price Comparison: less expensive than average
Directions: Just look for the steaming cup of coffee at the top of the sign.
Price: US$20-40
Theme: Motel

• Updated Mar 6, 2006

Comments

Edith49 Visits Here Frequently!

Edith49

“I don't really have one - I just love to travel”

Have you been to South Korea?