"Jungle Trails" Top 5 Page for this destination Parque Nacional Tikal Warnings Or Dangers Tip by Bwana_Brown

Birdwatching on the Maudslay 'Causeway'
by Bwana_Brown

As depicted in the map on my 'General' tips, the ~3000 structures in the 6 square mile area of Tikal are located in the middle of the tropical jungle of the Yucatan lowlands. That means two things - there are a lot of trails through the jungle as you walk from one set of monuments to another and there are also a lot of trails that keep on going into nowhere if you are not careful about what you are doing. Normally, things are marked quite well, but just be careful that you don't get a little carried away with the joke. Even though things are sign-posted, unless you have a site-map of some sort with you, the network of trails can be confusing (I found that the Tikal section of our "Moon Handbook on Belize" had a good enough map for me to use in conjunction with the signage).

When originally built, the major temples of Tikal were interconnected by a set of wide stone 'causeways', now named after some of the early archeologists who rediscovered the site. Presently, the major causeways are nothing more than wide earthen trails through the jungle, with not much to be seen in the way of stoneworks. Here, on our second day of explorations, we have finished with the huge Temple IV at the western end of Tikal and are taking this off-the-beaten-track causeway along the northwest side toward the less touristy area of Complex P temples. Along the way, a Falcon suddenly flew across in front of me and landed on a branch beside the trail - so I had to have a good look! We also saw Spider Monkeys in the treetops above, one with a small baby clutching the mother's back as they took the high road over the trail.

• Updated Mar 6, 2006

Comments

Bwana_Brown

“Don`t sweat the small stuff”

Have you been to Parque Nacional Tikal?