"Chronos - landmark of the Royal Castle" Top 5 Page for this destination Royal Castle Tip by matcrazy1
Royal Castle, Warsaw: 69 reviews and 181 photos
In Greek mythology, Chronos ("time" in Greek language) was the personification of time. He is often depicted as an elderly, gray-haired man with a long beard. That one in the National Hall of Royal Castle sulptured by Monaldi (1786) is baldish and bends under the load of heavy sphere on his shoulders. The globe-like sphere is painted in blue with gold stars (EU - globe?). The Chronos keeps a scynthe in right hand (Polish agriculture? :-). This sculpture is a landmark of the Royal Castle.
Opposite to the Chronos, between the windows, there is a sculpture of a nude (a bit Rubens-weigh), happy woman with a trumpet sulptured by Andre Le Brun about 1770. She is the Pheme, I guess. The personification of fame and renown from Greek mythology is usually depicted with a trumpet although also with wings.
In the National Hall there are also:
1. Portraits of 10 famous Poles including Nicolaus Copernicus a Polish astronomer of German origin, who is remembered for providing the first modern formulation of a heliocentric (Sun-centered) theory of the solar system;
2. Four bronze busts (in corners) of Polish and Lithuanian hetmans (the second highest military commanders after the monarch)
3. Eighteen heads of famous Polish statesmen, scientists and poets.
Address: Plac Zamkowy 4, 00-277 Warszawa, Polska
Directions: In the southern edge of the Old Town. Map here (Zamek Krolewski) or here
othercontact: Fax: +48 (22) 635 72 60
Phone: +48 (22) 657 21 70
More Things to Do in Warsaw (98)
More Reviews (165)
- See All Warsaw in European Union
- See All For caffee break
- See All Gifts and books on Warsaw
- See All Drastic scenes
- Bring a cell phone and others
- See All On Nazi and Soviet terror
- See All Making friends, romance, love... :-)
- See All Open from May to September only!
- See All Simple, basic, the cheapest(8.7 euros...
- See All Off the beaten path walk through park
- See All Workout room and sauna
- See All Where to walk and not to walk?
matcrazy1's Related Pages
Have you been to Warsaw?Share Your Travels