Quartino: "River North-Italian concept dining" Top 5 Page for this destination Quartino Tip by Dabs

Quartino, Chicago: 6 reviews and 19 photos

Quartino-profiteroles (2006)

Last visit 8/9/09

Right across the street from Osteria Via Stato, another Italian concept restaurant, is Quartino, a small plate Italian eatery that opened in December 2005. The name comes from a size of wine carafe, you can order by the quartino or larger sizes or by the bottle. The critics seem to like Quartino better than Osteria Via Stato but I liked Osteria better but some people might not like the idea that they are not ordering most of their food.

I've eaten here three times now, most recently on Sunday for lunch. There were quite a few other people dining but it wasn't full. The weekend evening are likely to be much busier. There is a small outdoor patio and space upstairs for parties. Service was friendly but not overbearing on my most recent visit. You can reserve a table on Open Table

The interior is rather interesting, I thought it was a converted space as the interior fixtures and tiling seemed rather old but when I asked they said that the interior was all "new". They did a really nice job of making it look like a reahb-tin ceilings, tiled floors, wood bar.

Favorite Dish: The menu consists of a lot of small plates, both hot and cold, that range around $5-10. There are also reasonably priced pasta selections, some main courses and a selection of wood fired pizzas. You can also order meats and cheese from the antipasti menu, they leave a pencil so you can mark what you want. The waiter recommended three items for the 2 of us and it was more than we could eat. The dishes come out as they are ready

We ordered a cheese fondue with bread cubes ($9), fried calamari ($9) and a thin crust pepperoni pizza ($10). This was more than enough food for the two of us. I really liked the cheese fondue, the pepperoni pizza was good but I note looking at my picture from a previous visit that they used to put a lot more pepperoni on it, the calamari I wouldn't order again. Lunch for the two of us was $38 including tax and tip but we didn't order wine, add a bit more if you are drinking.

Address: 626 N. State
Price Comparison: about average
Phone: 312-698-5000
Price: US$21-30
Rating: 4
Theme: Italian
Website: http://www.quartinochicago.com/

• Updated Aug 9, 2009

Comments

Dabs Lives Here!

Dabs

“Never put off til tomorrow what you can do today”

Have you been to Chicago?