Saigon Sandwich: "Cheap Eats for takeout" Saigon Sandwich Tip by Cruiseone2003

Saigon Sandwich, San Francisco: 3 reviews and 1 photos

This is another Tenderloin gem that I frequent when I don't feel like making myself anything, or I'm traveling and need to take a sandwich with me and I don't want to spend a lot of money. Saigon Sandwich is owned and operated by a Vietnamese woman who has been in business awhile by making fresh sandwiches that are the best deal in San Francisco.
Tasty Banh Mi (Vietnamese for bread) sandwiches served quickly by young Vietnamese women. The delicious barbecued chicken or Pork sandwich on a fresh baguette roll has coriander, mint, the thinest slices of firey chilis, and strips of lightly pickled vegetables like carrot, it's served warm. There are other French/Vietnamese items on the menu but so far I have only tried the BBQ sandwiches.
Saigon Sandwich is in the Tenderloin on Larkin but near Civic Center BART(about 3 blocks), Civic Center Plaza, the Federal and State Buildings. As you can imagine she gets a lot of business from these places as well as local residents like myself.
There are no tables to dine in, this is strictly take out. Sometimes there is a line but I've never had to wait too long.
Besides making a great tasting sandwich that isn't mass produced (ie. Subway) it is inexpensive and I like the fact that this is a small business.

Favorite Dish: BBQ Pork Sandwich.
Hmmm, how to describe this sandwich. The meat is a good cut of pork, served warm with a nice taste, like it's been cooked for awhile. The thin sliced chilis give it just a bit of a spicy kick but so much that you regret having eaten the chilis. There is also some kind of mayonaise spread she uses on the bread that gives the sandwich a buttery taste. Put it all together and you have one heck of a great tasting sandwich.

Business Hours:
Saturday...7am-5pm
Sunday.....8am-4pm

Address: 560 Larkin & Eddy
Price Comparison: least expensive
Directions: In the Tenderloin just a short walk up from Civic Center Plaza and two blocks from VanNess.
Phone: 415 474 5698
Price: less than US$10
Rating: 5
Theme: Other
Website: http://www.saigonsandwich.us/

• Written Feb 27, 2006

Comments

Cruiseone2003 Lives Here!

Cruiseone2003

“A journey is best measured in friends rather than miles (Tim Cahill)”

Have you been to San Francisco?