VirtualTourist.com will close on Feb 27th.

"BASTION OF THE CITY WALL" Artilery Bastion - Vilnius Defensive Wall Tip by Sininen

I wasn't looking for the Bastion and to be honest I didn't even know of it, when one day during my walk I came across to it. I don't know whether you can actually visit the Bastion, I just walked to the hill behind it and had a great view over it. Two sections of the wall with loopholes have survived. It consists of the original tower of the city wall, a canon room and a corridor connecting it with the tower. It was designed in the 17th century and partly destroyed during the 1655-61 war with Moscow. During the First and Second World Wars it was used as a hideout and a depot.

The vaults of the Bastion are associated with a legend about the basilisk of Vilnius, a dragon whose look used to turn people into stone, the basilisk itself turned into stone on seeing its mirror reflection.

Address: Boksto st. 20/18

• Updated Feb 25, 2006

Comments

Sininen

“You can do it!”

Have you been to Vilnius?