"HILL OF THE THREE CROSSES" Hill of Three Crosses Tip by Sininen

Hill of Three Crosses, Vilnius: 20 reviews and 32 photos

by Sininen
      View from the 3 Crosses
    by Sininen

I walked down from the Gedimino Hill and continued the search of the Three Crosses. I saw a tempting path by the river and followed it. After a while there were narrow steps up the hill and I wondered if they lead to the Three Crosses. I decided to give them a try and up I went. This was much tougher than climbing up the castle hill! Much steeper. It was a hot sunny day and sweat was running down my back. Then I saw the crosses but before taking the last part I sat on a bench for a while. Finally I was on the top and wondered for what. The view was marvellous, but the crosses? Oh well, not really interesting for me. According to the legends the Three Crosses were built to remember seven martyred Franciscan missionaries. Pagan Lithuanians tied them to crosses and threw them off the hill into the river. At this time Vilnius was ruled by Grand Duke Algirgas who got very angry punished the guilty. The Franciscans were buried on the hill and the chapel was built for them. Historians, however, confirm that this is all fiction.

Directions: The second hill from Gediminas' hill, in another bank of river Vilnele
Phone: +370-41-37-08-60
Website: http://www.hillofcrosses.com

• Written Feb 25, 2006

“You can do it!”

Have you been to Vilnius?