"AUSROS VARTAI -Gate of Dawn" Gates of Dawn Tip by Sininen

Gates of Dawn, Vilnius: 38 reviews and 64 photos

I saw and walked through one of the symbols of Vilnius ? Gates of Dawn (Ausros Vartai), the last remaining city gate, several times during my stay in Vilnius.Early in the morning when there were no other tourists, just locals rushing to work and monks returning from praying (?), duirng the day when the surroundings of the gate were full of tourists trying to get good photos and in the evening when the last rays of the sun lightened it. Originally there were nine gates. In the chapel of Au?ros Vartai there is a portrait of Holy Mary, which is believed to make miracles. Chapel is pilgrimage destination to the Roman Catholics in the east still today. I don't know why I didn't go to see Holy Mary, I planned to see it but somehow I got overdose of churches and religion during my stay. Also I didn't want to interrupt people who were praying there.

Ausros Vartai was erected together with the city wall in 1503-22. Except for the top of the gate, which is Renassaince style, the gate is Gothic style. The painting of the Holy Virgin Mary is called Madonna of Vilnius and is dated back to the 1st quarter of the 17th century and is painted in Renassaince style. Since mid-17th century it is considered miraculous.

Address: Ausros Vartu st. 12
Directions: Ending of Ausros Vartu street
Phone: 212 35 13
Website: http://www.ausrosvartai.lt

• Updated Feb 25, 2006

“You can do it!”

Have you been to Vilnius?