"Sunrise at Haleakala" Maui Things to Do Tip by H-TownJourneyman

Maui Things to Do: 486 reviews and 992 photos

I'm Not Sure This Is Worth It!?!!
by H-TownJourneyman

Making the early morning drive up to the 10,000 ft. Haleakala summit, located within Haleakala National Park, is something that one must TRY to experience when on Maui! I stress the TRY because of two reasons: the weather, and my past experiences! On a clear morning, I have heard that witnessing the sun break over the horizon and rise up is an experience like no other. But MY two attempts at seeing this have been less than steller. Staying on West Maui both times, getting up before 3am was not the most pleasant thing to do, and then driving a few hours up the mountain in complete darkness was a little scary. But I was doing it all for the chance to see this awe-inspiring sight! Well, I'll say that the first time it was actually snowing at the summit, with clouds completely surrounding the entire mountain. Didn't even see the sun until later in the day. But seeing snow in Maui was definately an experience! See my picture here, thats me at the summit freezing my booty off! :) The next time the weather was much better, but still the clouds interfered with the initial sunrise, and my camera didn't work anyway, so go figure! So my advice for making the journey up to see the sunrise at Haleakala would be this: First & most important, the night before, get a weather report. If that seems promising, get up early, and get another weather report! If it still looks good, then dress very warmly, as it WILL be cold! Make sure your camera is working :) , and proceed with caution, as the dark roads can be a little treacherous. If it all works out in your favor, you may see one of the most beautiful sights you have ever witnessed. I wish you well! :)

Directions: Eastern Maui, Haleakala Summit

Review Helpfulness: 4 out of 5 stars

• Updated Feb 22, 2006

“Get out there & see some stuff!!!”

Have you been to Maui?