"National Museum :-)))!!!" Top 5 Page for this destination National Museum Tip by matcrazy1
National Museum, Warsaw: 11 reviews and 16 photos
WOW! It's the largest by number of items stored institution of art in Poland. Only small part of the huge collection is displayed on three levels of the National Museum in Warsaw. The rest is stored in numerous places, hired to other museums both in Poland and all over the world, displayed in temporary expositions in the museum or in four other branches of the museum of which two are in Warsaw:
- Krolikarnia (literally: Rabbit's House :-) - shame on me, I never was there (go to metro station Wierzbno)
- Poster Museum in Wilanow - it's my strong recommendation whever you visit Royal Palace in Wilanow (Polish Versaille).
The museum opening hours are too short: 10 am - 4 pm except on Thursday (open until 6 pm) and Monday (closed). Like, in say Louvre or Vatican Museum, it's not my recommendation to see everything in one day. It's simply impossible and as for me 2 hours is enough.
1. painting "Madonna and Child" (c. 1475) by Sandro Botticelli, an Italian painter of the Florentine school. I've seen his most famous painting the Birth of Venus in Uffizi Gallery in Florence, Italy;
2. huge oil on canvas "Battle of Grunwald" (1878) by Jan Matejko, probably the most famous old painting in Poland showing the famous battle (called Battle of Tannenberg as well) in 1410;
3. oil on canvas "Polish Hamlet, Portrait of Aleksander Wielopolski" (1903) by Jacek Malczewski;
4. huge collection of ancient art (16,000 items) including Egyptian sarcophagi and the largest in Europe collection of art from Nubia.
Address: Al. Jerozolimskie 3; 00-495 Warszawa; Polska
Directions: The museum is in downtown, almost 2 km south of the Old Town and 1.5 km east of the Central Railway Station, very close to the roundabout with palm tree (Rondo de Gaulle'a). Map here
Phone: +48 (22) 629 30 93
More Things to Do in Warsaw (98)
More Reviews (165)
- See All Warsaw in European Union
- See All For caffee break
- See All Gifts and books on Warsaw
- See All Drastic scenes
- Bring a cell phone and others
- See All On Nazi and Soviet terror
- See All Making friends, romance, love... :-)
- See All Open from May to September only!
- See All Simple, basic, the cheapest(8.7 euros...
- See All Off the beaten path walk through park
- See All Workout room and sauna
- See All Where to walk and not to walk?
matcrazy1's Related Pages
Have you been to Warsaw?Share Your Travels