"Always Come Prepared!" Top 5 Page for this destination Combined Suggestions Tip by deecat

Combined Suggestions, Chicago: 30 reviews and 5 photos

Luggage and bags: One of the most important items to bring, I think, is Ziploc bags because they keep your suitcase organized, dry, and accesible. I put things such as duct tape [for repairs]. Super Glue [for what the tape can't repair], small container of detergent to wash undergarments, etc., and a sink plug [just in case].
I always put one set of clothing and undergarmets, my medicine, cosmetics, jewelry, important papers, and anything I just could not lose into my "carry-on luggage".
Make sure you have a list of phone numbers of your credit card companies, insurance, airlines, doctors, and your country's embassy! In this day and age, I have a card with e-mail addresses of family and friends.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: In Chicago clothing all depends on the time of year you travel. In July and August, it is extremely hot and humid so dress with light colors, loose clothing, and lightweight fabrics. During December through February, count on cold temperatures. Hat, heavy coat, warm gloves, and boots.
It's always a good idea to travel with a plastic poncho that folds into a tiny pouch.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Lately, I've started taking Liquid Bandage to be prepared for minor accidents and/or blisters. I also carry [in my luggage and my money belt] Imodium pills just in case of a gastrointestinal situation. Speaking of medical, I also keep a list of inoculations, all my medication prescriptions, and the telephone numbers of doctors. This is probably because we frequently stay for months at a time. Since I wear glasses, I bring an extra pair.
I've started taking water tablets when I go out of the country in case bottled water cannot be found.

Photo Equipment: Since I now have a digital camera, I plan set up an online photo account so I will be able to upload digital photographs as I go along thus freeing up the memory card. If I'm not traveling very far, I take along my Easy Share Printer dock so I can have "hard copy" of my pictures.

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: I always take a bathing suit with me on travels, even in the winter in case there is a hotel swimming pool.

Miscellaneous: I always inform my credit-card company of my travel plans, especially if I am out of the country. A friend of mine did not do that and the credit-card company put a "block" on her account because of the foreign purchases.
I also leave one copy of all my important documents such as passport, etc. with my daughter and keep a copy with me...not in the same location as the original.

• Updated Feb 20, 2006

Comments

deecat Lives Here!

deecat

Have you been to Chicago?