"The Duomo (exterior)" Il Duomo - Santa Maria del Fiore Tip by paoseo
Il Duomo - Santa Maria del Fiore, Florence: 250 reviews and 523 photos
The first episcopal church of Florence was the basilica of Saint Lawrence 'outside the walls', consecrated by Saint Ambrose of Milan in 394. The next one was the Basilica of Santa Reparata, Martyr, built in the 5th or 6th century. In 1412 the new name of Santa Maria del Fiore (Our Lady of the Flower, or 'of Florence') was officially assigned to the magnificent church that by then had arisen on the remains of the earlier basilica.Santa Maria del Fiore was finally consecrated on 1436, by Pope Eugenius IV.
In the last decades of the 13th century, the Florentine government decided to build a new cathedral, because the old duomo, dedicated to Santa Reparata, next to the now "lovely" Saint John's seemed "very crude". Thus the dream of an enormous church, far bigger than the cathedrals of Pisa and Siena, the rival Tuscan cities, was born. Florence wanted her Duomo to be grander in size and in exterior adornment. And like most of Europe's gothic cathedrals, the new Florence Duomo was dedicated to the Madonna. The Cathedral we see today is the result of 170 years of work. The first stone of the facade was laid on September 8, 1296, under the direction of Arnolfo di Cambio. Arnolfo's design was subjected to numerous modifications. The most obvious are visible on the church's sides, where the first four windows are narrower and closer together than those toward the east, which are part of an enlargement of the plan due to Francesco Talenti in charge of construction after the mid-14th century. The radiating eastern chapels were finished in the early 1400s, and the gigantic dome designed by Filippo Brunelleschi was completed in just 16 years, from 1418 to 1434. The lantern, designed by Brunelleschi, was built after his death (1446), and the gilt copper ball and cross by Verrocchio, containing holy relics, were set in place in 1466. The last part of Santa Maria del Fiore to be finished was the facade, done between 1871 and 1887 to Emilio De Fabris' design.
Address: Piazza Duomo - 50122 Firenze
Directions: Near Giotto
Phone: +39(055)294514 (Sacristy)
More Reviews (10)
- June and July are veery hot
- See All The church of Dante and Beatrice
- See All In a little corner a great surprise!!
paoseo's Related Pages
Have you been to Florence?Share Your Travels