"Mobile Surgery" Top 5 Page for this destination New Zealand Local Custom Tip by kiwi
New Zealand Local Customs: 137 reviews and 118 photos
I'm calling this local custom because it really is a custom to help ourselves in New Zealand. This attitude first grew with the European pioneers, simply because our geographical location precluded immediate help from elsewhere.
I'm very proud of this service. The bus itself was privately funded but the service is funded by the Minstry of Health and uses national and international expertise, working in conjunction with regional health providers. It is a 39 tonne mobile unit with very modern video communications and surgical tools. During an operation, the bus has sides that extend out. Obviously very customised both in the surgical area and the driving cab.
The bus provides surgery to small town rural areas, and allows certain surgical procedures to go ahead without the patient having to travel a long way to the nearest city.
I believe that the doctors and surgeons donate their time on this service, but am not sure if that is still the case. Whatever it is a very welcomed service in smalltown New Zealand.
Here in the photograph you will see the MSS bus loading onto the Interislander Ferry, that travels between the North and South Islands. I'm sure they do this trip very regularly and it has become a common site. I was thrilled to see the surgery loading on.
Phone: +64 3 355 4790
More Reviews (78)
- See All Free Wifi around NZ
- See All Camping on Side of Road
- See All Nakedbus.com Cheapest travel around NZ.
- See All Visit White Island an active volcano.
- See All Beer unique to New Zealand
- Nightglow of balloons
- See All No such thing as a short-beaked kiwi.
- See All B & B between Auckland and Rotorua
- See All Bungy Jump at the home of all Bungy!!
- See All The ladies' Bra Fence.
- See All Between Hamilton and Rotorua
- Respect the Sun's Powers at all times!
kiwi's Related Pages
Have you been to New Zealand?Share Your Travels
Top New Zealand hotels
- Auckland Hotels
- 1042 Reviews - 2303 Photos
- Wellington Hotels
- 593 Reviews - 1272 Photos
- Queenstown Hotels
- 641 Reviews - 1706 Photos
- Rotorua Hotels
- 480 Reviews - 1216 Photos
- Christchurch Hotels
- 1245 Reviews - 2615 Photos
- Tauranga Hotels
- 18 Reviews - 49 Photos
- Palmerston North Hotels
- 32 Reviews - 92 Photos
- Kaikoura Hotels
- 206 Reviews - 681 Photos
- Paihia Hotels
- 118 Reviews - 263 Photos
- Napier Hotels
- 200 Reviews - 520 Photos
- Dunedin Hotels
- 340 Reviews - 803 Photos
- Taupo (town) Hotels
- 32 Reviews - 101 Photos
- New Plymouth Hotels
- 18 Reviews - 42 Photos
- Matamata Hotels
- 27 Reviews - 147 Photos
- Oamaru Hotels
- 50 Reviews - 98 Photos