"PARIS. Pick-pockets" Pick Pockets Tip by bibliosandy

Pick Pockets, Paris: 172 reviews and 57 photos

Prior to visiting Paris in December 2005, we took the time to read almost every pertinent article in VirtualTourist. Forewarned is forearmed! Pick-pockets in Paris are quite brazen. I warned every member of my group, that we should carry only those items in our pockets that we wanted to be stolen. We all wore neck pockets, comfortable and easily accessible. We were not in Paris 24 hours before the pick-pockets attempted to strike.

While entering a Metro car, a young man ?stumbled? in front of me. I remembered this as being one of the pick-pockets? ploys described in VirtualTourist, and I immediately began calling for the police. My attacker was stunned and cornered.

With a sheepish grin, he dangled a set of keys, which he had ostensibly dropped and retrieved, before me. I?m still called for the police. I?ll assure you, they won?t be there. But, the trainman did not close the doors of the train and it remained motionless. My
?attacker? raised his fist as if to assault me. Rest assured, the pick-pocket does not want to escalate a petty crime to a more serious crime and he quickly backed down. At this point, my 28-year-old son, a Marine, joined me, as did the pick-pocket?s accomplice (they do, usually, work in pairs). I kept calling for the police. Finally, the ?perps? decided to make their escape, each going in a different direction. My son had the larger of the two, the accomplice, by his collar, but he wriggled out of his black leather jacket, and made for the steps. We reasoned that the pick-pockets were no longer a threat, so we let them go. The one lost a nice leather jacket for his efforts. I wish we had kept it as a souvenir, but it was better that we left it on the platform.

Oh yes, I am 6?2?, 250lbs+! My son commented, "I looked like a beached whale in a yellow life preserver," an obvious tourist, and an easy mark. But, thanks to VirtualTourist an informed mark.

If you are the victim of a pickpocket, or purse-snatcher, return immediately to your hotel and hope that you beat the thieves there.

Address: Paris