"Never Mind the Warnings! Take an overnight Junk ," Ha Long Things to Do Tip by Seberus

Ha Long Things to Do: 229 reviews and 538 photos

One of the views of Halong Bay
by Seberus

As an avid user of Virtual Tourisnt over the last four years I read the warnings about Halong Bay. I e-mailed my tour leader and tried to get out of that part of my one week trip. She urged me to consider it anyway and we are very glad we did!

Halong Bay is a Word Heritage site, and rightly so. It is gorgeous beyond belief. After your Junk peels away from the 100 some junks that are taking a day trip ( which I would avoid at all costs) we had a fabulous run. We met some great folks on the trip ( there were 4 small groups) many of them Vietnamese natives. The panaoramas were spectacular, the cave was superb ( do it even if it is a bit taxing ) ....and the food while predictable ( fish , fish and fish ) was tasteful and well prepared.

There were, on our trip at least, two opportunities to go kayaking , those who went reported great Kayaks and a great trip.

The rooms while minimal were cute in their own way, and although we could have 6 inches more on the width, gave us what approximated a night's sleep.

With all the caveats , I would not miss it....

Address: Halong Bay

• Written Feb 15, 2006

Ranked Member

Have you been to Ha Long?