"An oasis in the city - The Grande Mosque" Paris Off The Beaten Path Tip by fossettes

Paris Off The Beaten Path: 1,965 reviews and 4,156 photos

The Grand Mosque - 39, rue Geoffroy Saint Hilaire, 5e

I lived in Paris for two years and the entire time kept meaning to go to the hammam there. Last summer I went back to visit and a friend and I decided to go... All I can tell you is I was so disspointed that I didn't go when I lived there, because I would have become a "regular!" The massage, exfoliation and steam baths will perk up even the most weary traveler!

Here are some things to keep in mind:

- There are days for men and women, so you need to check that. At this time they are: Women, Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday, 10 a.m.-9 p.m.; Friday, 2 p.m.-9 p.m. For men, Tuesday, 2 p.m.-9 p.m., and Sunday, 10 a.m.-9 p.m.

- Go early, the wait for the massage tables can be quite long later in the day.

- Allow a couple of hours so you don't have to rush through your relaxation!

- You'll want some sort of shower shoes. You can rent them, but I'm glad we took our own!

- You buy a package based on the length of your massage.

- You sort of follow thw crowd! If you're confused about what to do next, ask someone. We're all sisters there!

- Most women wear only a bathing suit bottom (a few wore a once peice and others were completely naked)

- It's clean and leaving you feel wonderful, but it isn't the spa at the Ritz! It's old and beautiful, but a little worn here and there.

- You can take your beauty products in with you. If you want to put a face mask on while sitting in the steam or deep condition your hair, it's perfectly acceptable.

- The mosque has a gift shop selling beautiful imports.

- The tea room has wonderful meals and tea. And the garden is lovely. It's an oasis in the middle of the city.

othercontact: Place Monge Metro
Phone: 01 43 31 38 20

• Updated Feb 10, 2006

More Off The Beaten Path in Paris (1)

“Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end...”

Have you been to Paris?