Bazyliszek: "Fantastic food but slow service" Top 5 Page for this destination Warsaw Restaurant Tip by matcrazy1
Warsaw Restaurants: 322 reviews and 522 photos
I dined in Bazyliszek restaurant twice, once very long ago, let's skip it, and again in 2004. Stylish interiors from Napoleon's era with soft carpets on the floor make atmosphere of the old times but... they should pay more attention to details. This restaurant needs more heart and better interior designer, I guess. At least the live music livened up serious, somewhat too snobish interiors (and visitors :-) of Bazyliszek.
There is something wrong with the service in this restaurant or I had no luck. After coming we were given menu and waiting a few minutes for our waitress who was too serious, somewhat sad and first of all she was very slow. I had to wait long both for drinks in the beginning and for my bill in the end. Well, I explained her why I decided not to pay a tip and she replied gently "sorry, we have short staff today" or something similar.
But the most important for me was food I had and, a surprise, I was very satisfied :-). They serve dishes of old-Polish cuisine (rather from royal than peasant's tables) as well as European food. I think that Bazyliszek may become top Warsaw restaurant when they improve service and warm up the design/atmosphere
Warning: it's expensive restaurant as for Poland. Expect to pay 15 - 20 zl per soup, 25 - 70 zl per main course, that is some 200 zl (53 euros) per diner for two with drinks and tip.
Tip for budget visitors: take red beet borsch with meat ravioli (14.50 zl) and dish of Polish dumplings (22.50 zl) that's total 37 zl or... walk to nearby Pierogarnia (some 15 zl there :-).
Favorite Dish: 1. Forest mushroom soup with homemade maccaroni (flat, square pieces of pasta; 19.50 zl) - hot and thick, fantastic aroma, delicious taste, probably the best I ever had.
2. Duck with baked apples (66.30 zl) - well, duck is always a bit risky order for me in each restaurant as it's difficult to make this meat soft and tasty, but it was one of the best ducks I ever had, fantastic and bravo!
3. Hunter's wild boar roast (59.80 zl) - the same as above, fantastic and unique taste although I am not a dedicated fan of game dishes.
All dishes as well as beer I had tasted and looked great. So, despite slow service... I rank this restaurant 4-stars and wish you to find better service. Good luck and good apetite :-).
Address: Rynek Starego Miasta 1/3; 00-272 Warszawa; Polska
Price Comparison: more expensive than average
Directions: On the southern wall of the Old Town Market Square. Map here
othercontact: +48 (22) 831 32 35
Phone: +48 (22) 831 18 41
More Restaurants in Warsaw (23)
More Reviews (240)
- See All Warsaw in European Union
- See All Architectural details in the Old Town
- See All Gifts and books on Warsaw
- See All Drastic scenes
- Bring a cell phone and others
- See All On Nazi and Soviet terror
- See All Making friends, romance, love... :-)
- See All Open from May to September only!
- See All Simple, basic, the cheapest(8.7 euros...
- See All Off the beaten path walk through park
- See All Workout room and sauna
- See All Where to walk and not to walk?
matcrazy1's Related Pages
Have you been to Warsaw?Share Your Travels