"Marina Hemingway" Top 5 Page for this destination Havana Things to Do Tip by Jefie

Havana Things to Do: 559 reviews and 981 photos

Canadian boats anchored at the Marina Hemingway
by Jefie

We took a taxi from our hotel located in the Vedado area to the Marina Hemingway, located in the Miramar area. The drive alone was very interesting as we passed in front of several embassies and summer villas. If the Vedado is sort of a middle-class neighborhood, then Miramar clearly is an upper-class neighborhood! Towards the end of la Quinta avenida (5th avenue!), we finally reached the Marina Hemingway. Looking like tourists was on our side for once as we had no problems whatsoever getting through the gates of this huge tourist complex. After spending nearly a week in Havana, walking around the marina felt like we had just entered some sort of Disneyland: I was flabbergasted by the luxurious hotels, yachts, cars and boutiques (most of which I couldn't afford to shop in). We were also surprised to be turned away at the end of one street as we were about to walk in front of a hospital that had nothing to do with the one I'd been taken to in La Habana Vieja... As beautiful as the marina was, I couldn't help but feel rather uncomfortable amidst all this luxury as I couldn't help but think about the poor fishermen living right next door. A truly surreal experience in Havana.

Directions: At the end of la Quinta avenida, Miramar

• Written Feb 8, 2006

Comments

Jefie

“"Travel is fatal to narrow-mindedness"”

Have you been to Havana?