"In India, you will soon..." India Local Custom Tip by Creaky

India Local Customs: 347 reviews and 396 photos

In India, you will soon recognise the simultaneous shake and nod of head, which at first you think is an affermative response, no, it can mean, yes I know what you mean, but I don't agree, or I know what you mean but I don't know, or I don't know what you are on about, but don't want to seem rude !! be wary of it, it doesn't mean yes.
The word Accha is also one westerners pick up to mean OK, but this is also the same as above. Meaning, OK, but I don't want to, OK I understand,but what do you want me to do about it ! etc.
The above gesture and word are often used in conjunction with each other - even more confusing !
You will be asked what religion you are ! How many children you have ? Are you married, where is your husband / wife ? How many sons you have etc etc. You will also be stared at and have people want to take pictures of you !! its all good humoured though.
Its endless the cultural differences, luckily for us (not necessarily for them), they have a good idea of western culture, and most people speak english.
Cover your head as a woman in temples etc. always take your shoes off when going into a shop or someones home.

I could go on and on, but the fun is finding them out for yourself !!

• Updated Aug 24, 2002