Dar Ghadames: "Brand new and beautiful" Top 5 Page for this destination Libya Hotel Tip by TheWanderingCamel

Libya Hotels: 30 reviews and 73 photos

Like a desert fort

Like a desert fort
      Hotel view
      Spacious and comfortable
      Marble halls
    by TheWanderingCamel

With only two Italian families staying there the first night I was in Ghadames, and three Venezualans the next night, the atmosphere in Ghadames' newest hotel was somewhat eerie to say the least. My room was lovely - big, spotlessly clean and comfortable with a marvellous bed (bliss after the Kabir's lumpy pillows and hard mattress), tastefully and simply decorated - everything I like a hotel room to be. To get to it, I had to walk down what seemed like endless, echoing marble-floored passages, all completely silent and empty. It was rather disconcerting!

Of course, I was there out of the main tourist season - I have no doubt when most, if not all, the 78 rooms in this newest addition to Ghadames' accommodation options are full, things will be somewhat different. Although it is a way out of the town centre, the reality is there's not a lot to attract you into town at night. Most tour groups will probably have dinner in the hotel - and if you have travelled independently you will almost certainly have a vehicle at your disposal, whether it be your own or the one that brought you here. I ate one (very ordinary) meal in the hotel's virtually empty restaurant - the next night I ate in town with my driver at one of the restaurants on the main square - a better meal and definitely better company!

The breakfasts were, like dinner, pretty ordinary, but the staff were very pleasant, the view of the sunrise from the restaurant was stunning, there was lots of hot water - and I always make sure I carry a good book. I would certainly stay here again.

Comparison: most expensive