"Beware of Egyptians bearing... Bandages!" Hawkers and hassle Tip by SabrinaSummerville

Hawkers and hassle, Cairo: 41 reviews and 33 photos

The approach
      The approach
      It's a wrap!
      The pose
    by SabrinaSummerville

We stopped at a locally known lookout point to take some spectacular pics of the Pyramids when a very old and innocent-looking Egyptian man wandered up to my Mum. He gestured to ask if she wanted him in a pic with her and, in her innocent delight, she said yes and he posed beside her.

Next thing, before she had a chance to object, he unwound some dirty bangades and wrapped them around my Mum's head.

"Hey!" I thought "This guy is trying to make a Mummy of my Mammy. She was a bit upset and nervous at this point and I could see that she was bothered by the dirty headdress.

The trick from the old guys point of view was that he would not take the bandages off her unless she gave him money, and he would not leave without his bandages.

I handed him some money, he demanded more, but our guide intervened and he took his bandages away.

It was a really unpleasant experience though - if I were Mum I'd still be scratching my head.

Unique Suggestions: Watch out for the locals wandering the Pyramids - most of them are up to some scam.

• Updated Feb 6, 2006

More Tourist Traps in Cairo (1)

“"I am of Ireland....Come dance with me in Ireland", W.B. Yeats”

Have you been to Cairo?