"Or 'Ground Zero' as its now known..." Ground Zero - World Trade Center Tip by sugarpuff

Look at the board on the pole.
by sugarpuff
      Look at the board on the pole.
    by sugarpuff
      The area of land behind the cars is where it was!
    by sugarpuff

Its funny...we woke up super early today ready to start our first day in the Big Apple and borrowing a map from our friend, headed off into the unknown! I dont know how other people feel about it, but since the terrorists hit NY and London, I dont always feel completely relaxed being in those places, just hoping that they wont strike again when Im there. So we jumped on the metro and headed downtown. We were sure according to the map that Ground Zero would be very close to where we were standing. There was construction going on all around us and we really were a bit confused as to why we hadnt seen a huge big gaping hole in the ground yet. And then we DID!!! But it wasnt half as big an area as I thought it was....in fact, it wasnt very impressive at all. I know that sounds a little odd that i would want something which was generated from something so atrocious to be a good tourist spot, but at the end of the day I thought I was going to be amazed.

We just stood there for a good 15 mins looking around at all the other buildings towering over the hole and images played in my mind of the news clips I saw from that day with people running in terror...it really must have been a very frightening moment not knowing where to go. It was a beautifully sunny but cold day and the whole area looked very impressive.

Address: 9/11 Memorial., 200 Liberty Street, 16th Fl., New York, NY 10006
Directions: Get off the subway at 'Chambers Street' which is on the 1,2 and 3 line and walk south for a little while.
Phone: (212) 266-5211
Website: http://www.911memorial.org/

• Updated Feb 5, 2006

“Smell the spices, see the smiles and hear the laughter and whisperings of the locals.”

Have you been to New York City?