Stockpot: "Local fare for a reasonable price" The Stockpot Tip by Dabs

Veal scallopini (2008)
      Veal scallopini (2008)
      Treacle pudding (2008)

Last visit July 2011

It's a common belief that you can't get anything decent or affordable to eat in the heart of the tourist district near Leicester Square but Stockpot lays that rumor to rest. I had seen numerous recommendations to eat here on various travel forums so on a cold January night before heading off to hear bloody gruesome tales of Jack the Ripper, Ed (Kaspian) and I stopped by the Panton Street location to grab a bite to eat.

It's recommended so frequently that I was surprised that the restaurant was mostly empty, but I suspect it's more popular as a workingman's lunch than for dinner. It's definitely no frills dining, the interior is perhaps one step up from a diner. Service was speedy.

Favorite Dish: I had the beef stroganoff, a hearty portion which was good and cheap and Ed had braised lamb which since he finished, I suspect he had no complaints about it. I think I even let him have some of my beef stroganoff. Both came with a side of chips (French fries to us Yanks) and some veggies.

On my 2nd visit, I tried the veal scallopini, the meat portion was a little small but still filling, it also came with chip and veggies. I tried the treacle sponge pudding with custard for dessert, it was pretty good but probably nothing I'd reorder. My total bill was L8 before service charge. They also had a 3 course set price meal for L7.80 with certain menu items. The specials change daily and they have a core menu as well.

Another place that has the same kind of fare is West End Kitchen, located right across the street from the Panton Street location. The quality of the food is about the same, you can check the daily specials on the boards outside the restaurant and pick whichever has the more interesting menu for the evening.

Address: 30 Panton Street
Price Comparison: less expensive than average
Directions: Closest tube: Leicester Square
Phone: +44 20 7823 3175
Price: US$11-20
Rating: 4
Theme: Local

• Updated Nov 10, 2011

Dabs Visits Here Frequently!

“Never put off til tomorrow what you can do today”

Have you been to London?