From Outdoor Markets to Marimekko!!: "Shopping Along the Esplanade" Helsinki Shopping Tip by starship

Helsinki Shopping: 204 reviews and 204 photos

What to buy: When traveling I always try to purchase something that speaks of that country. In Finland, some of the most special items have to do with clothes! Along the Esplanade are many charming shops carrying distinctively designed clothing and shoes. The sweaters found in many shops are exquisitely Nordic in style and made from fine wool. The colors and design leave you in no doubt that they are Scandinavian, and the Finns' designs are extremely beautiful and of excellent quality. Hence, they carry a big price tag!! All of the sweaters that I admired were well in excess of 200 Euros -- most were at least double that in price!! They were WAY OUT of my price range and I didn't come home with one.

Along the Esplanade you can find at least 3 Merimekko shops and other upscale stores. But if clothes are not your desire or the price is a factor, you can also delight in the merchants in Market Square or Market Hall who have on offer all kinds of fresh produce from Finland's countryside and even crafts or souvenirs from Lappland!!

I DID satisfy myself with postcards, a magnet and a wooden hot plate made of "slices" of beautiful Cyprus wood which exudes a delightful aroma when heated. It was marked "Made in Finland." I did notice that Stockholm had similar wooden items as well but which I didn't buy. I wanted something handmade in Finland and I got it.

What to pay: From under 10 Euros for small souvenirs to 300 to 400 Euros for Finnish-style sweaters. Cyprus wood items run about 10 Euros and up.

Directions: From Market Square near the Harbor, and all along the Esplanade up to the Swedish Theater at the West end.
Theme: Other

• Updated Jun 29, 2014

More Shopping in Helsinki (1)

“Any day spent traveling is a good day!”

Have you been to Helsinki?