"Yeap, it stands on Only ONE pillar" One Pillar Pagoda Tip by myspices
One Pillar Pagoda, Hanoi: 45 reviews and 78 photos
The famous One Pillar Pagoda is built of wood on a single stone pillar. You can go up the Pagoda using the stairs and do a little prayer up there. It is surrounded by a pond with lotus flowers.
Facts about One Pillar Pagoda
*built by Emperor Ly Thai Tong in 1046, who ruled from 1028 to 1054.
* built of wood on a single stone pillar, 1.25m in diameter
* built to resemble a lotus blossom, symbol of purity
* the structure was destroyed by the French in 1954 and was rebuilt by the new government.
Legend of the One Pillar Pagoda
The heirless Emperor Ly dreamed that he met Goddess of Mercy, who seated on a lotus flower, handed him a male child. Emperor Ly then married a young peasant girl and had a heir by her. The structure was built to express his gratitude.
Address: Hung Vuong
Directions: Ba Dinh area ( pagoda is between the HCM's mausoleum and Museum)
More Things to Do in Hanoi (14)
More Reviews (31)
- See All More "small eats" in Hanoi
- See All Art pieces - Original or Copy, Prints &...
- Bring these ....
- See All Taxis - from Noi Bai Airport
- See All Watch out for Pickpockets
myspices' Related Pages
Have you been to Hanoi?Share Your Travels