"Tower of London 1 : Manky Birds" Top 5 Page for this destination Tower of London Tip by sourbugger
Tower of London, London: 523 reviews and 935 photos
Here is a good quiz question : Who are Hardey, Thor, Odin, Gwyllum, Cedric, Hugine and Munin ?
They are the seven ravens at the Tower today. Probably some of the best well known, and best treated residents of the city. Their overnight cages are to be found next to the Wakefield Tower.
It could well be the case that the birds were first attracted to the tower as they found the rotting corpses of executed people an irristiable treat. Legend has it that the British nation will fall if the ravens ever leave the tower. It got a bit close during WW2, when the numbers shrank to one.
The ravens consume 6oz. of raw meat and bird formula biscuits soaked in blood each day. They are also partial to an egg each once a week plus the occasional rabbit which is given to them whole as the fur is good for them! Don't feed them, unless you happen to carry fried bread - it is, I am told, their favourite meal.
You can usually see them about the place, even with clipped winged they sometimes escape the confines of the place and see a bit of the outside world - I guess the 'Ravenmaster' gets a bit of overtime in then.
In the UK a 'bird' is a slang term for an available female. Ravens are the ugliest bird that you will ever see, the sort of desperate scrag that hangs around at 3 O'clock in the Morning on a dodgy dancefloor looking to get off with any bloke she can find. Ouch.
Address: Tower Hill, EC3
Directions: Tower Hill tube
Phone: 0 20 7709 0765
More Reviews (218)
- See All Will this work on oxford street ?
- See All Museum of childhood
- See All Get 7 million pounds for free !
- See All WHAT A BARGAIN !!!
- See All Who need's illegal drugs ?
- See All A mark of a civilised society
- See All Can we have our Skylon back please ?
- See All Just do as it says on the door.
- See All Fireman Sam Strikes again
- See All Sourbugger's guide to London's...
- See All Another tirade against the wax works...
- Why am I writing this ? I must be sad or...
sourbugger's Related Pages
Have you been to London?Share Your Travels