"Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel" Top 5 Page for this destination Banff National Park Hotel Tip by madamx

Banff National Park Hotels: 60 reviews and 59 photos

Living room of our suite
by madamx

Well, for all these years I resisted staying at the Banff Springs Hotel -- a major tourist destination in itself, which in my books was not an ideal place to stay. However, I was "forced" to stay there recently as part as a birthday weekend my husband had planned. Oh well, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em!

I must say the service was fabulous, from the attendants at the front door to the cleaning staff. The only glich that came along was I wanted a a little bar of soap for the bathtub. This took 3 different calls, and at the end I was told that "there are no full sized bars of soap" at the hotel. All I wanted was a little bar of facial soap like one that was left at the sink! I eventually waited until the next day and just took the fresh bar of facial soap that was left at the sink.

Unique Qualities: The rooms are getting a bit tired and I would balk to pay full high season rates for them. Be forewarned that they start in size from approx 180 sq feet with one double bed, so for optimum space I would book a one bedroom suite. We stayed in one, and it had a small living room with the bedroom. I was really disappointed in the decor; it was along the Victorian genre almost bordering on tacky, which again, would really displese me if I had paid full high season rates. The hotel is sprawling, and it takes a couple of days to figure your way around. There are plenty of quaint little seating areas with antiques, reading tables, and writing desks, a testament of time before tv and internet. Again, some places looked well-worn (I noticed duct tape holding pieces of carpet together in the hallways)

The saving grace of The Banff Springs is their awesome spa -- voted one of the best spas in the world by Travel and Leisure magazine, plus their Sunday buffet is very pricey, but well worth it in the end.

If you are looking for total luxury, pass this place over (drop by for a day visit) and book at the Rimrock Hotel, just down the street . If you must stick with Fairmont, book a room at the Chateau Lake Louise; I have stayed at both properties and if I had to choose, the Chateau Lake Louise rooms are in much better condition.

Address: 405 Spray Avenue
Comparison: most expensive
Directions: Head down main street until you reach the "T" intersection; head left, and follow the signs.
Phone: (403) 762-2211
Price: US$180 and up
Theme: Hotel
Website: http://www.fairmont.com

• Written Jan 29, 2006

Comments

madamx Visits Here Frequently!

madamx

“*meeeep*”

Have you been to Banff National Park?