Magnan's Restaurant and Tavern: "Magnan's Restaurant and Tavern" Magnan Restaurant & Taverne - CLOSED Tip by jamiesno

I wouldn't of known about this place other than a local friend knew it to be a great place that local business people had used for generations now. He referred to as a Montreal "institution". I knew then that I was going to be treated to a real local place.

Apparently as a tavern women where not permitted into the place originally. It was a male only location and the women would always be looking in the windows trying to see what their husbands were up to. With the changes in the times they eventually made a place for women in the basement. So women were eventually permitted but only in the basement and of course today it is like any other normal place but an interesting old boys place history.

So what about the food. The place is famous for its roast beef. I had a 12 oz cut cooked medium and there is little doubt it was possibly the best I had ever tried. It is also very quick there and extremely busy.

The unemployed pudding with the maple sauce would be considered a local dessert and was pretty good. Mine was a littel cold but I wouldn't dare send it back being afraid what would happen to it, LOL. Enjoy this place I am glad I was invited here.

Black and white photos adorn the walls of Magnan's Restaurant and Tavern tracing its roots. One floor above the restaurant, enjoy the tavern's wide screen TV where you can catch your favorite sporting event.

Address: 2602 Saint-Patrick Street
Price Comparison: about average
Directions: Near Rue Charlevoix
Phone: 514 9359647
Price: US$21-30
Rating: 4
Theme: Local

• Written Jan 28, 2006

“Little by little, one travels far. J. R. R. Tolkien (1892 - 1973)”

Have you been to Montreal?