Sign Great House: "Don't travel alone in Jamaica" Jamaica Hotel Tip by vikendall

Jamaica Hotels: 197 reviews and 245 photos

This was my first trip alone, and it was a stupid mistake to travel alone, and quite dangerous. This place has stark contrasts, with the majority of the people being in abject poverty, and desperate. It is not advisable to be alone, as you are seen as a target. When I visited, Kingston had state department adviseries. Montego Bay did not. I went to Montego Bay. The spices perfume the air, but many people are living in cardboard boxes in the jungles. While I was standing in the churchyard overlooking the bay, a group of youths attacked me, ripping my pocketbook from me. (I was very young. I don't carry a pocket book anymore). I was also very lucky. The priest ran out and rescued me. He told me the same group had sliced up 2 nuns the night before. (There was no travel advisary for Montego Bay). Every time it rains, the phones go out on Jamaica. While I was there, 2 tourists staying in a gated hotel were attacked. The man was killed, the woman raped. I would advise anyone trying to find a nice island, steer clear of this one. It is quite dangerous.

Unique Qualities: The :Great House accomodation was interesting. The weather is fabulous. The air is perfumed with spices. The sights are breath taking. Food is very expensive, and not too creative.

Address: The Sign Great House-Montego Bay
Price Comparison: about average
Price: US$120-180
Theme: Other

Review Helpfulness: 2 out of 5 stars

• Written Jan 26, 2006

“If you have a weekend, I've got a trip”

Have you been to Jamaica?