"Largo Argentina - aka Roman Fat Cat Habitat" Top 5 Page for this destination Rome Local Custom Tip by icunme
Rome Local Customs: 385 reviews and 463 photos
Area Sacra of Largo Argentina has been adopted by Roman cats - en masse - but that seems to be OK with the local folks as on any given day a quadre of providers will come with refreshments for them all. This very special square block of ruins is one of the most fascinating and, yet, lesser known of the large Roman ruin sites.
This acceptance of very high-profile monuments that become home to numerous cats is not so uncommon. The Castle Sforza in Milano maintains its own cat habitat there and I've even seen a book and a calendar there in the Museum on the cats of Sforza.
The Cat Santuary is supported by a group of people who accept donations and sell trinkets there at the Torre Argentina site.
A note of interest regarding the area known as "Argentina" is that the name is not a reference to the country Argentina; but is derived instead from an association with Johannes Burckardt and his Strasbourg homeland. Of further note regarding names is that Burckardt's mansion in the Argentina area of Rome is now home to the "Burcardo" Library and Museum (on my "off the beaten path" Rome tips).
othercontact: Via Arenula and Corso Vittorio E
More Local Customs in Rome (36)
More Reviews (205)
- See All Orto Botanico - Garden Oasis for nature...
- See All Sushi in Rome
- See All CARAVAGGIO Exhibit - Palazzo Venezia
- See All 3-star in 5-star location
- See All Biggest MALL in Rome - Parco Leonardo
- See All Low Cost Airport Transfer - USO Rome...
- See All Should I rent a scooter to see Rome?
- See All Tram
- See All Bike and Hike along the Via Appia Antica
- See All JONATHAN'S ANGELS - not an angel seen...
- Villa Borghese overpriced and surley...
Been to Rome?Share your travels with the world!
icunme's Related Pages
Have you been to Rome?Share Your Travels