"Food & Drink in Lisbon" Food and drink Tip by sue_stone

custard tarts
      decaf coffee, Portuguese style
      bica and nata - perfect!
    by sue_stone

Before we headed to Lisbon I read that the food wasn't the greatest. Hence I was expecting to be disappointed....thankfully it wasn't that bad! Maybe we picked the right restaurants and the right meals....but all in all we enjoyed what we ate.

One thing we didn't try...though I was tempted...was the salted cod. Have a look at the picture and see if you think you would eat it. It is a speciality, so I should have tried it...next time perhaps.

The highlight though, food wise, was definitely the small custard tarts, known locally as pasteis de nata. They are everywhere and they are good.

Drinks wise, I can highly recommend sampling some Portuguese wine. We had a tasty red with lunch one day and a very good (and cheap) white wine once night. We also enjoyed a couple Sagres beers - tasty.

Alex also sampled some very nice Port, which of course is a must do when in Portugal, the home of Port! He enjoyed it so much he bought some at the airport to bring home and enjoy.

Coffee was another good thing about Lisbon - we enjoyed many a bica (small black coffee), it was strong and not at all bitter. Bad news for decaf drinkers though - and I am normally one of them....the only decaf they appeared to have in Lisbon was Nescafe instant decaf....not the greatest.

Website: http://www.cervejasagres.pt

• Written Jan 26, 2006

More Local Customs in Lisbon (1)

Comments