Bacar: "What separates a good restaurant from a great one?" Bacar - CLOSED Tip by RblWthACoz

Bacar - CLOSED, San Francisco: 2 reviews and 0 photos

A very thin line. Many restaurants tread this line and either choose to ignore it altogether and stay well behind it, or go over the top and push themselves past it forcefully (eventually being forced back by reality). What I love is when I go into a restaurant and it is nicely set up. Like they are telling me that sure, we care about the design of this place, but we aren't going to waste too much time on it because there are better things for us to invest our energy in.

Bacar's wine list is overwhelmingly full. (30+ pages) Their menu is selectively chosen and immaculately prepared. There is nothing worse than having food that is too richly prepared. I prefer to have food that is extremely well prepared in a way that I can eat the whole thing and not be sick from sensory overload, but still is many steps above an average old restaurant. The only negative about the whole evening concerning the food was the amuse bouche which killed the wine I had. (But that is just a random coincidence that the chosen amuse bouche for the evening did not pair well with the wine.) But there was plenty of wine left for after that and the rest of the meal that we ordered was extremely good.

Bacar is the type of place I expect to see around in 10 years, still delivering quality food, elegantly prepared with unique ingredients.

Favorite Dish: Kurobuta pork

Address: 448 Brannan Street
Price Comparison: more expensive than average
Directions: east of the financial district
Phone: 415-904-4100
Price: US$41 and up
Rating: 4
Theme: American

• Written Jan 25, 2006

RblWthACoz Used To Live Here!

“Better to worry about living good than looking good.”

Have you been to San Francisco?