"That's Not a Girl" Top 5 Page for this destination Mongolia Local Custom Tip by hayward68

Mongolia Local Customs: 64 reviews and 92 photos

Nomadic child
by hayward68

One custom that you might want to know is that Mongolian nomads don't cut their boy's hair until they are about 4 years old. This takes place in a ceremony and is a big family affair and out comes the food, drink and music. So before you offer up girly gifts to a child that you presume to be a girl, you might want to ask as sometimes you can't tell.
This little boy was a member of the camel herding family with whom we stayed. He was a funny little guy and I played with him quite a bit. He was doing what I assume was a tiger or lion impression for me, which involved being on all fours, scratching at the ground and growling. Quite a cute little guy.

• Written Jan 21, 2006

• briantravelman's Profile Photo
    Dec 3, 2014 at 2:40 PM

Interesting and good to know. I would love to see a ceremony like that. I would feel kind of stupid asking someone what sex they are, but I guess you kind of have too. If you didn't post the explanation, I would think that was a girl in your picture. At first I thought this tip was gonna be about them dressing boys like girls.
    I wonder what the reason is for not cutting their hair.

“I didn't lose my mind, it was mine to give away”

Have you been to Mongolia?