"Mongolian Food" Top 5 Page for this destination Mongolia Local Custom Tip by hayward68

Mongolia Local Customs: 65 reviews and 93 photos

Fried dough being cooked in the ger
by hayward68

I'll be frank with you, Mongolian food was not the most exciting thing to discover. Quite a lot of it consists of meat and flour in various forms and combinations. Mutton is quite a common food to find and I don't like it so that was a trial for me. A popular dish is buuz, which is meat filled dumplings, not bad but after having them so many times I was quite tired of them. We also had bansh with is similar but boiled in a soup.
We tried a fried dough that was cooked up in the nomadic gers, these were quite good if you got them nice and hot. They weren't quite so tasty once they were cold and chewy. They are typically offered to guests if you visit a nomadic family. We were also offered their version of tea which is milky and salty. This may sound very odd but I quite enjoyed it and would order it in restaurants later on in the trip.
I was a little wary of one meal prepared by a nomadic family as the wife came back from their storage ger with a hunk of meat that had been hanging there and sliced off bits of it to put in the soup. Not quite sure how sanitary that is but it seems a common practice.
We picked up a chunk of meat at the market in Arvaikheer and carried it around in a box in the van until it was used up. Again, slightly offputting, but I didn't get sick, mind you, I'd taken an oral vaccine prior to the trip that was supposed to prevent what they refer to as "travelers disease"
We had a lot of cabbage salads, basically coleslaw with a bit of carrot. That was pretty much the only vegetable we saw a lot of during our travels. If you want fresh fruit then you'll want to stock up in the larger grocery stores in the main cities, it was harder to find in the smaller towns.

• Written Jan 21, 2006

Comments

hayward68

“I didn't lose my mind, it was mine to give away”

Have you been to Mongolia?