"Bayanzag - Flaming Cliffs" Top 5 Page for this destination Mongolia Things to Do Tip by hayward68

Mongolia Things to Do: 178 reviews and 382 photos

Preparing for camel ride
      Off for a ride
      Sunset by Flaming Cliffs
    by hayward68

Bayanzag is known as the Flaming Cliffs because of its beautiful red sandstone which changes to a dark red as the sun sets. This area is where American paleaontologist Roy Chapman Andrews first discovered dinosaur bones and fossils in the early 1920s. It is thought that the animals were buried by landslides.
We wandered around the cliffs for over an hour watching the colours change during sunset. You can have a look for fossils and dinosaur bones, good luck, but do remember that if you do find anything, you can't keep it.
There is a tourist camp nearby which has showers but it wasn't open when we were there. Instead, we stayed in the guest ger of our guides friend. He was a bit of an entrepreneur, a young Mongolian man who lived with his mother and owned a herd of camels. He was setting up his own gers for use by tourists. For a small fee he'll even take you for a ride on one of his camels, which I of course had to do as I absolutely love camels. If you'll notice in the extra pictures, I'm wearing my Virtual Tourist ball cap. The man on the camel beside me is the young man that I mentioned.

Address: South Gobi
Directions: 65km southwest of Dalanzadgad

• Updated Jan 20, 2006

Comments

hayward68

“I didn't lose my mind, it was mine to give away”

Have you been to Mongolia?