"like polishing a..." Rodeway Inn Downtown Tip by bocmaxima

Rodeway Inn Downtown, San Diego: 190 reviews and 0 photos

I stayed here for two nights in mid-January.
Choice should really just level this building and stop wasting money on the maintenance. The furniture in the room was nice.
The first thing I noticed was that there was one of those room connector doors which meant that I could hear just about every conversation in the other room. Luckily, I had pretty quiet neighbors.
The next thing was that, although it was a large room, there was a strange space that seemed like should be populated by a piece of furniture.
Then, I was told the Wireless Internet was down. You could see the access point and sign in to the verification form, but it would not let you out online past that. They suggested I go to the Quality Inn lobby across the street.
Then, I noticed that the tub moved. Turns out the wood had rotted and water was underneath the tub lining. A little disconcerting considering that I was on the second floor. Stepping in the tub also caused this really foul smelling water to come out.
I went to bed early the first night, but the second night (a Saturday), I came in around 1am. I first noticed that the window to the room next to me had been broken. This is somewhat of a bar area, so at 2am, almost like clock-work, the noise started on the streets: lots of yelling. This soon spilled into the hotel courtyard though with lots of doors slamming, drunken yelling, and running around.
When I checked out the next morning, the clerk was ridiculously mean-spirited, which I attributed to the commotion of the previous night. Lots of commotion with the maids, and two random guys were hauling a mattress out of one of the rooms. I'm not sure how common this sort of stuff is.
If you can't find anything cheaper (my case), then just stay in Mission Valley.

Unique Qualities: Great location, but there's a Quality Inn caddy-corner that is much nicer.
Free parking. The surface lot on top fills up quickly, but there is a small, underground garage that is gated and always has free spaces at night.

Address: 719 Ash St, San Diego, CA 92101
Price Comparison: less expensive than average
Directions: Ash at Eighth Avenue, easily accessible from the 163 south (Ash Street exit)
Phone: +1 619-232-2525
Price: US$40-80
Theme: Hotel
Website: https://www.redroof.com/property/San-Diego/CA/92101/Hotels-close-to-Downtown-San-Diego-Airport-I-5-CA-163/RRI772/

• Written Jan 17, 2006

Have you been to San Diego?