Kioyo Running Sushi Asia Restaurant: "Japanese fast food." Running Sushi Restaurant Kioyo Tip by SWFC_Fan

Kioyo Running Sushi Restaurant menu
      Columbus Centre shopping mall
    by SWFC_Fan

I ate at this restaurant on my first evening in Vienna during a visit to the city in January 2006.

After a long day of walking in the cold, I was in desperate need of something hot and substantial - and I wasn't disappointed!

I took a seat on the restaurant's forecourt on the upper level of the Columbus Centre shopping mall and began scrutinising the German-only menu. Thanks to my schoolboy German, I know enough to be able to read (and largely understand) items on a menu - but, to be honest, even if the menu had been in English there would have been many Japanese dishes I wouldn't have recognised!

Favorite Dish: I first ordered a Melange coffee (similar to an espresso, but with whipped cream) - at a cost of 2.40 Euros.

Picking a starter was easy. My favourite starter in these kinds of restaurants is the Hot and Sour Soup (or Pikansauerliche Suppe) - cost 2.20 Euros. It was by no means the hottest such soup I've tasted on my travels, but it was quite spicy and in conjunction with the coffee and the well-heated interior of the restaurant it served its purpose of warming me up!

For my main course I opted for Kioyo Nudeln (cost 6.70 Euros). This consisted of a huge plate of noodles, with lots of thin slices of fried pork, bean sprouts and what I believe was sauerkraut. It was very nice and tasty, and the hot sauce that it was served in (Teriyaki, I think) had a welcome afterkick.

I was now ready for a cold drink to cool my mouth down. I ordered a bottle of Pepsi (cost: 2.40 Euros).

As I paid my bill, I was given a complimentary dessert of two pieces of fried banana. A nice touch!

The restaurant has a huge selection of colourful sushi and tempura dishes as well as the usual array of stir-frys and noodle dishes containing pork, chicken, beef and seafood.

Good value and good quality food at very competitive prices. Highly recommended!

Address: Columbus Centre
Price Comparison: about average
Directions: On the first floor of the Columbus Centre shopping centre, Columbusplatz, Favoritenstrasse.
Phone: +43 1 2078582
Price: US$11-20
Rating: 4
Theme: Japanese/Sushi

• Updated Jan 15, 2006

“Next stops: Chile (November), Cluj-Napoca (December)”

Have you been to Vienna?