Cafe Mante: "A quick beer before bed!" Vienna Nightlife Tip by SWFC_Fan

Vienna Nightlife: 264 reviews and 325 photos

Cafe Mante, Vienna
by SWFC_Fan

I popped in to Cafe Mante for a quick beer on my first night in Vienna in January 2006.

After doing a lot of walking during the day, and having just enjoyed a nice meal at a nearby Japanese restaurant, I was ready for bed - and I figured a quick beer would help me to nod off!

I ordered my beer from the bar and, as I was coming to expect from my experience in Vienna, the barmaid spoke little if any English. "Ein gross bier, bitte" I asked. I'm not sure if that's 100% gramatically correct, but it did the trick and the barmaid produced a large (500ml) bottle of Wieselburger Gold beer (cost 2.30 Euros).

I took my beer and sat at a table by the large window, looking out at the snow falling on Favoritenstrasse and flicking through my guidebook to get some ideas for the next day's activities.

I was the only person sat in the front part of the bar, but there were numerous tables in the back of the bar (a dimly lit room) and I heard the unmistakeable sound of pool balls being unloaded from a pool table.

A laid-back, informal cafe with a small selection of bottled beers and a small food menu (mainly snacks).

Dress Code: There didn't appear to be one.

Address: Favoritenstrasse
Directions: On the pedestrianised part of Favoritenstrasse, south of Sudtirolerplatz.
Theme: Eating and Drinking

• Written Jan 15, 2006

Comments

SWFC_Fan

“Next stops: Chile (November), Cluj-Napoca (December)”

Have you been to Vienna?