"Don't Forget!" Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Cayman Warnings Or Dangers Tip by ScubaCat

Grand Cayman Warnings and Dangers: 14 reviews and 9 photos

Cars of the Caymans
by ScubaCat

As I'm sure most of you know, the Caymans are under the British Rule. Therefore driving is on the left side of the road & most of the cars are right hand drives. (makes for interesting driving, lol). Driving on the left was fairly easy for me. What was difficult was getting used to the right hand drive cars. I kept turning on the windshield wipers when I wanted to turn on the turn signal. One of the most difficult problems I faced was the console was on the left rather than the right. I would pull up & park in a parking space, roll up the windows, turn the car off......but forgot to put the car in park!!! I wasn't the only one that did that. You could definately tell who the tourists were by watching them park, alight from the car & if the car began to roll backwards....you knew they were a tourist, lol. Another difficulty I had was the roundabouts. Not only would I get confused as to where I needed to go after entering the roundabouts, but the roundabouts are 2 lanes rather than one & you had to be in the correct lane for your destination. Switiching lanes in the round about is a no-no & thank goodness I only got honked at rather than being in a crash! So folks it's fairly simple...remember to put your car in park & upon entering the roundabouts choose which lane you need to be in & stay there!

othercontact: Airport Plaza
Phone: 345-949-5605

• Updated Apr 4, 2011

Comments

ScubaCat

“When the urge hits-just load the tanks & go”

Have you been to Grand Cayman?