"Good Railway Connections" Top 5 Page for this destination Surrey Transportation Tip by Bwana_Brown

Surrey Transportation: 6 reviews and 7 photos

London Train Approaching Farnham Station
by Bwana_Brown

While staying in Farnham, if you want to do some sight-seeing in London, there is no need to worry about the hassles of driving your car in traffic and then finding a reasonably-priced parking spot - not to mention the daily traffic levy that you have to pay just for driving your car into the congested central part of the city. Cameras record all vehicle license plates and the mandatory fee must be paid within 24 hours to avoid a fine for daring to drive into the already crowded city.

I have always enjoyed sitting back in comfort and letting the trains and subways do the work for me when I visit London. We grabbed this modern 9:30 AM South West train at Farnham station and sat back in comfort, watching the country roll past as we made the one hour trip to Waterloo Station on the banks of the River Thames. The trip reminded me of several that we took from Horley (beside Gatwick Airport) back in 1979 and, in fact, this ride ended up on the same railway tracks, as we went past the familiar old landmark of the impressive Battersea Power Station (declared a National Historic site in 1980 and retired from active service in 1983) as we neared our final destination beside the London Eye.

We each bought a one-day Travelcard for 15 GBP (US$22) that covered our round trip train ride as well as any subway (we needed three of these in the course of our explorations) or bus rides we took in downtown London.

Mode: TO
Type: Train

• Written Jan 12, 2006

Comments

Bwana_Brown

“Don`t sweat the small stuff”

Have you been to Surrey?