VirtualTourist.com will close on Feb 27th.

"Drug Test!?!" Rio de Janeiro Warnings Or Dangers Tip by blaird

Rio de Janeiro Warnings and Dangers: 222 reviews and 107 photos

We drove from Rio to Buzios for a couple of day trip with our daughter and on the way we got pulled over by the police for a random drug test. I guess they sit there and just keep randomly pulling people over looking for something illegal. We weren't asked for a bribe, since we didn't have anything illegal, but I am told they do ask for bribes at times.

The cop asked me to get out of the car, which was stupid, because I only speak a little portuguese, while my wife is fluent, but I thought it would be better since she has a knack of saying what's on her mind...while I hold my tongue a little better.

First, I got patted down by the cop, Lopes, along with an un-appreciated touch between my legs. Next, we went back to the trunk where he rummaged through our stuff, opening every bag, sniffing everything, and generally just being annoying. Fortunately, I didn't laugh when he started smelling our stuff, like we would be able to smell out drugs like a dog...

Anyway, he let us on our way with nothing but a funny story and a little wasted time. To his credit, he was generally nice and respectful...well, as respectful as one can be when opening up our suitcases and private stuff & grabbing my privates.

The moral, don't bring illegal stuff on your trips.

• Updated May 5, 2006

More Warnings and Dangers in Rio de Janeiro (1)

Comments

Have you been to Rio de Janeiro?