"Monkeyforest" Bali Things to Do Tip by redhotwax

Bali Things to Do: 1,242 reviews and 2,473 photos

Welcome to the Monkeyforest!
by redhotwax
      Welcome to the Monkeyforest!
    by redhotwax
      The waterfall at the end of the 'secret' trail!
      Big trees!
      The 'secret' trail :)
    by redhotwax

Well, I guess you can't keep this from a Bali guide. The monkeyforest is quite a nice trip out, but it's not a 'Must See'. What I especially liked about it was that you were in an actual rainforest, hiking along with monkey's following you for candy ;)

What they don't tell you is that there's also a cementary with a temple where the dead are still cremated. It's quite eery to visit, as you can read the tombstones, where the people are waiting to be cremated. When visiting the cremation temple, you can still smell it's in active condition. For those of us interested in that kind of stuff, a nice extra in this forest!

There's another temple as well, don't forget to bring your sarong when visiting. I didn't, and I regret it, it looked quite imposing!

There's also a trail off the actual paths which is very much worth the hike, if you can find it. There's a small waterfall at the end of the trail. Directions are as follows. Near the big temple, walk back down and look for a small path leading down on your left. It's a bit slippery and I wouldn't suggest following it if you're not in good physical condition. I added some pictures of the waterfall for those who can't visit it. We felt really cool walking down there, as nobody else seemed to have found it or seemed interested! ;)

Directions: Ubud, you can't miss it!

• Written Jan 9, 2006

“Anywhere in Asia is fine with me!”

Have you been to Bali?